Due to an issue with the WinPcap install, WireShark doesn’t seem to work on Windows 7 after you install it. Here are the steps I followed to get it to work.
1. Download WinPcap 4.1 Beta5 from http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm
2. Manually install WinPcap. Next through Dialogs…
Update 2009/10/12: If the above still doesn’t allow the install of WinPcap and you get something about the version of Windows not being supported, use Window Vista SP2 Compatible mode and that should help it work. To get to the dialog, click on START and then in the search Window type “Run programs made for previous versions of windows” and click on it above and follow the prompts.
3. Error will pop up about installing Microsoft Network Monitor Driver but will install version of WinPcap without support for Dialup connections and VPNs. Click OK
4. Download WireShark 1.2.2 64 bit from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
5. Install as normal, shouldn’t try to install WinPcap since it is already installed.
Trying to install WireShark the normal way which also installs WinPcap doesn’t work. It acts like it installed ok but WireShark can’t see the network interfaces.
Note that if you uninstall and then reinstall WinPcap after WireShark has been installed, you will again fail to see the network interfaces. Just uninstall and reinstall WireShark after you uninstall and reinstall WinPcap.