If you make this, you will be craving it again very soon…
- Serves 4
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 45 minutes
- Serve with long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken legs (2.5 pounds total) drumsticks (thighs work well too!)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over a medium-high.
- Add Chicken, skin down and cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook 2 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, red-pepper flakes, and sugar.
- Return chicken to pan, skin side up.
- Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low
- Cook 15 minutes (liquid should be gently simmering; adjust heat if necessary)
- Uncover, raise heat to medium, and cook until sauce is reduced by half, 10 minutes.
- Put cup (or more) of rice onto center of plate
- Place piece (or several) of chicken in center of rice
- Repeat for all plates
- Split sauce up between plates pouring over chicken and rice
WARNING: Your house is going to smell so good and will stick around for hours so you may start gnawing on the end of a table or a cupboard or something… The sauce is about the best sauce I have ever had over rice…